General DiscussionBrowse Other Topics

• Corey's Game

Posted by Jean-Michel O'Donnell on September 1, 2022 at 8:14 am

During both of Corey’s August 31st videos, he mentioned his game.

I’m a systems programmer for Unreal Engine, beginner to intermediate. I’m not a great graphic artist, and my materials are pretty basic, but I can code most systems easily.

The basic engine type would depend on the story that needs to be told and how it needs to be told. Is it told through:

A Role Playing Game (an RPG, like D&D or Might & Magic).

An adventure game (like King’s Quest or Space Quest).

An endless runner (takes a few hours to make a very basic engine).

An interactive 3D comic, a fully 3D environment where the player can view the comic through their own camera and interact with the scene for a specific goal.

An open world adventure (like Witcher 3, need 100 – 200 people for that kind of game. Try it out!)

A hyper-monitized scheme that worships money as god (yep, small g). I’m out.

I can easily put together a few basic examples. I do work a regular job, so give me a week or two to put something together.

As I’m a PC guy, my Unreal Engine code will be Windows and Android compatible. If my code is compiled on a Mac with Unreal Engine (5.0.3 currently), it will then work on both Macs and iOS devices (iPhones and iPads). And UE5 is completely free. Until you make $1,000,000, then it’s 5% after.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Jean-Michel O'Donnell. Reason: Two competing thoughts, sentence failed
    Jean-Michel O'Donnell replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 8, 2022 at 5:37 am

Week 1
    Demo 1: Infinite runner game. LOC Rescue.
    Run through the LOC tunnels and help rescue the survivors.
    Basic engine is done. Twice. I managed to corrupt the first project when creating the random wall/roof segments. Started over on day 3. Second went much smoother and is far more robust.

About a weeks work left to move it from an engine to the LOC Rescue game.

Demo 2: Rogue-like. Delve under the Denver airport and rescue children from the hordes of evil. Basic planning started.

Probably 2 weeks to make this one as well.

• Will

September 8, 2022 at 12:27 pm

I think for Coreys story the best ones to go with would be something like the F.E.A.R franchise, in that vein, or Mass Effect if you want to go a bit deeper and give it more story and depth. So F.E.A.R is a horror/psycho thriller FPS and Mass Effect is more a action role player with a pretty deep story. Im hoping you know of these 2 games pretty well and what i mean by them since they are both UE games. I think they are 2 great examples of their genres. Hopefully that helps a bit for you and good luck with your creation! 😉👍🙏

• Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 8, 2022 at 4:53 pm

F.E.A.R. was bleeping amazing, and it would be a great medium for Corey to tell his story. Such a project would likely be 100ish people strong (AAA style) or around 20ish for an indie project, and I’d love to be part of a team that works on something like that. I’m sure I could figure out a light detection / stealth mechanic (Thief 1, 2, 3, and specifically, Shalebridge Cradle).

Both FEAR and Mass Effect are the kind of games that Unreal Engine was made for. Though I find the engine itself to be mind-blowingly versatile. And with Unreal Engine 5, Nanite (geometry virtualization that removed Levels of Detail (LODs)), and Lumen (realtime lighting and shading), making UE5 games look great takes less effort than ever. It’s still a LOT of effort, but there’s a bit less.

I’m having a blast making these projects. I’m learning a lot more about the engine, how it work, how to program it, and optimize it. No matter how this project and these demos work out, I find it’s all worth the effort!

• Will

September 12, 2022 at 2:00 pm

You got to story board it first and so you have a frame to work in. Depending on how serious you are and how deep you want to go, you may be able to crowd fund it if you can get a small team together and show a demo etc… Its def going to be alot of work and not really a do it by yourself type of thing cause of the writing, building, debugging, etc…. BUT my hats off to ya for even trying.You got to start somewhere!😉 👍🙏

• Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 15, 2022 at 8:47 am

Week 2
    Demo 1: Loc Rescue
    I’ve only been able to spend a few days this week working on it, but did get a lot done. The blocker system has been upgraded to moon rocks, desks, file cabinets, and chairs. Two invaders, a trooper model and a grey-ish model (mixamo swat-guy and zlorp) are also littering the ground unconscious. Don’t hit any of them. The system is very modular and adding in obstacles is a few minutes once the models are done.

I added male and female rescuees. When you run close enough, they’re portalled out.

I put in a basic User Interface (UI). It displays how many coins you’ve collected (metal tonnage), people you’ve saved, and how far you’ve run. These are also saved between runs for your grand totals.

I added an achievement system. 5 achievements for each of distance ran, metal collected, and people saved.
    Example:
    Run 1000m (aka 1 kilometer), achievement “Not a couch potato”.
    Save 100 people, achievement “First Responder”.

I added mechanics for special rooms (1 in 200 chance currently) and made the first one. About a year ago, I modeled the Avro Arrow. I may have accidentally included a room with 2 to run through. The original model was based off a 1958-1959 data drawing.

I also added a rotating Earth and Sol for background objects. Just because I could.
    😄

To do:
    Portal animation and effect for saving people. Currently, it’s just sound. But it’s one of my favorite Sci-Fi sounds.

I’ve started the main menu page, but it lacks full functionality.

|- Create the achievement page. Gotta see what’s been achieved, and what can be achieved.

|- Basic instruction page.

|- Ability to reset saved data

Create the Windows installer

Create the Android installer

Upload the project, just in case anyone with a Mac wants to make a Mac or iOS version.

I hope there’s a few days of work left. It depends on how much time I get to put into this with Life happening daily.

And don’t mind the screen shot. When one has access to the source code, the impossible becomes easy. I guess that’s why God is so good at miracles.

• Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 22, 2022 at 9:59 am

Week 3
    Demo 1: LOC Rescue

I managed to break the achievement code badly. Then rebuilt it better and now it works perfectly all the time.

I also finished the ability to reset the saved data. Works across all UI pages now too.

I have another night of polish and testing, then it should be ready for packaging and sharing. I don’t know when that night will happen, but it will before the end of week 4.

• Will

September 22, 2022 at 10:27 am

Wow, lookin good so far. The UE engiine must be alot more flexible now then in the past.Im def going to be following your progress.

• Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 29, 2022 at 5:59 am

It is more powerful than most would expect.

The Mandalorian TV show… Unreal Engine. They have a 70′ room with borderless monitors surrounding the space and ceiling. They put Unreal Engine graphics on the monitors, the actors see what’s there as they act, and are lit by the screen itself. The camera is hooked into the engine and will move the graphics on the monitors as the camera moves in perfect syncronicity. A low distance front throw projector makes a quick hack to duplicate this.

Then there’s gaming… Black Myth: Wukong. It’s the story of the monkey king told by a Chinese studio. Dear lord, it’s gorgeous!!! Check out trailer 1 (12m 45s, 1 year old) and trailer 2 (26m 02s, 2 months old).

It’s also amazing at Archvis, or Architectural Visualization. If you know your stuff, it’s quite possible to make utterly realistic scenes, such as this course here.

And with blueprint scripting (as seen in the week 3 screenshot), programming has never been easier. If care is taken, it can make some of the clearest, most well documented code I’ve ever seen. It can also make the worst spaghetti code imaginable too… I like taking care.

I’m on the polish stage of LOC Rescue. I hope to have it done tonight or tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Jean-Michel O'Donnell. Reason: Brain fart and posted the reply instead of setting a link
  • Jean-Michel O'Donnell

September 29, 2022 at 9:21 am

Week 4
    Demo 1: LOC Rescue

I’ve done the basic polish, and the game is 100% functional! Until someone else tries it, anyway!

I have the Windows installer downloadable from this link here. It’s now about 540 mb, and 50% of that are the people models and textures.

When finished downloading, make a new folder and copy everything into that folder. The LOC_Rescue.exe file is both the installer and the main program file.

The first time the file is run, it will install any and all dependencies it needs, such as DirectX12 if it’s not installed already. It could take a few seconds to several minutes to complete this step.

Once complete, the game should run and start in a few seconds. It will save your progress as you play, unless you press the Reset Data button. That zeros everything out.

I have also uploaded my project files. If anyone has a Mac and Unreal Engine 5.0.3 installed, the program can be compiled to work on both Macs and iOS devices. It’s about 1 gig in size.

Report on effort put in
    The first week was steady work, probably 4-5 days, likely 20ish hours. Week 2 was mainly building and rebuilding the achievement system. Likely another 10 hours. Week 3 was life busy, 5 hours. Week 4, life kicked me in the nards (and it’s not quite finished yet), so about 5 or so hours to finish things off. There’s likely a total of about 40 hours of work in this tech demo / job application (when they’re ready to build full games).

Everyone is welcome to play and try it out. It’s not perfect, but that’s to be expect with about 40 hours of work total! I had a blast making it and would dearly love the opportunity to do so on a more full-time basis.

I hope Blue Chicken Cult Entertainment like’s what I’ve done!