• Jean-Michel O’Donnell

September 8, 2022 at 4:53 pm

F.E.A.R. was bleeping amazing, and it would be a great medium for Corey to tell his story. Such a project would likely be 100ish people strong (AAA style) or around 20ish for an indie project, and I’d love to be part of a team that works on something like that. I’m sure I could figure out a light detection / stealth mechanic (Thief 1, 2, 3, and specifically, Shalebridge Cradle).

Both FEAR and Mass Effect are the kind of games that Unreal Engine was made for. Though I find the engine itself to be mind-blowingly versatile. And with Unreal Engine 5, Nanite (geometry virtualization that removed Levels of Detail (LODs)), and Lumen (realtime lighting and shading), making UE5 games look great takes less effort than ever. It’s still a LOT of effort, but there’s a bit less.

I’m having a blast making these projects. I’m learning a lot more about the engine, how it work, how to program it, and optimize it. No matter how this project and these demos work out, I find it’s all worth the effort!